My Photo
Name:
Location: TUCSON, Arizona, United States

Sunday, May 03, 2009

You Are My Sunshine

The house is shabby and unremarkable, except for the makeshift shrine--a child's picture, some stuffed toys--accumulating at the foot of the mailbox. As we were getting ready for our ride Saturday Ray had said, "Want to see a crime scene?" So we biked around the block and I took this photo of the place where, three days ago, a laborer shot two kids and their mother, the woman with whom he'd been living and who was reportedly preparing to move out. Old story, now, though such news still delivers sadness undiminished. Ray wondered aloud how a man could do it. I asked how many popular standards he could think of containing sentiments like,  "I'll never let you leave...", "I can't live without you...", I'll never let you go...", and so on.

Indeed, there's a verse of "You Are My Sunshine" that we almost never hear sung:

I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only stay the same.
But if you leave me to love another,
You'll regret it all someday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home