My Photo
Name:
Location: TUCSON, Arizona, United States

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

DEBT & DEMOCRACY


If you're like me, you feel despondent now, listening to the seemingly-endless Republican obstinacy aimed at destroying Obama's presidency. But consider: all this recrimination and defamation is playing out in public, verbally. As President Obama says, "It's politics." The point is, if it weren't verbal, it'd be physical. In other words, no society of humans can exist without conflict, of every sort. Interests, ambitions, fears, and needs all collide constantly. The best thing we can do is to create an order in which all these disputes are settled in public, by talking. Which we've done. The alternative to talking is stuff like you hear from Pakistan, or Zimbabwe, or China--or even Norway. So dealing with weeks or months of verbal assault, even from all the reactionaries presently in Congress--not to mention on Fox--is WAY better than the alternatives. Therefore be of good cheer. I'm trying too.

PS: I took the photo from Turn 10 while biking up Alpe d'Huez a couple of years ago, an experience I relived during the Tour de France last week...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ride a lot. I have a road bike but mentioning how much it cost would be priggish. I think you're underserved by a crabon bike. But then I'm young and ride over 10,000 miles a year and never bother going to Europe.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Greg Hoppe said...

I ride a lot too, and I'm not ashamed to say I paid $800 for my bike. New. Five years ago. It's aluminum and it does not under- or over-serve. I ride it on the coldest days (10 degrees F) and the hottest (112 degrees), mostly imperial centuries. This monk put down the complaining snob at the last ford.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home