My Photo
Name:
Location: TUCSON, Arizona, United States

Monday, September 17, 2007

Electronic Media Woes

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:27 am
USS Cole--In port at Faslane on the Firth of Clyde (about 40k W of Glasgow)

Pretty busy with ship's mooring and related activities. I hope to have a full report of these activities published here soon.

As you may remember, I've been having trouble getting photos that I've been taking of my experiences onboard the Cole published to this blog. The problem has to do with the size of the photo files created by my camera--they are so big they can not be easily uploaded given the limited bandwidth* available to us on the ship. Based on a suggestion of my friend Jack who is helping me to post these entries in my blog, I have recruited one of my students, an ET (electronics tech), who I think will help me to shrink the files. We'll attempt next week to get some photos to a size that can be emailed and posted.

I miss biking with my partner and friends in Wisconsin. I get relatively restricted workouts aboard ship, and the TV is broken in the "gym" where the stationary bike is located. The ship has a rudimentary TV network on the decks; movies are broadcast aboard from somewhere down below. So it's dullsville on playing DVDs or VHS tapes on the TV near the stat bike. Sigh.

My courses are going OK, though, and I have some good students. Cheers.
...jb

* Bandwidth note: The military (somewhere) allocates bandwidth by squadron, etc., e.g., 256mHz for a group. This is then parceled amongst the ships by size. So this destroyer gets only a tiny fraction. Hence, no news. Onboard, the email works fine, but filesize for sentmail is restricted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home